The YMCA of Salem County – POOL RULES for MEMBERS
THOSE IN THE POOL AREA ARE SUBJECT TO AUTHORITY OF THE LIFEGUARD ON DUTY.
No one may swim in the pool unless there is a lifeguard on duty. NO SWIMMING ALONE
These rules are in place for safety and must be followed while using the YMCA POOL.
1. All persons must shower before entering the water (NJ State Law)
2. Children under 12 years must be supervised by an adult on the pool deck while swimming – they are also only allowed in the deep end if they pass the deep end swim test. Children under 8 MUST be accompanied by an adult IN THE WATER within arm’s length (2 children per 1 adult).
3. Youth under 18 years must pass the deep end swim test administered by the lifeguard to go into the deep end. Parents/guardians may not take non-swimmers into the deep end. Lifeguards have the authority to retest any swimmer who appears to not be able to satisfactorily complete the test. See below for details.
4. A bathing suit must be worn – no cutoffs, cotton T-shirts, or belts. All children in diapers must use swim diapers or plastic pants with snug fitting elastic waist and leg bands, no disposables or paper diapers. Do not wash out soiled diapers in the bathing water.
5. Children should be encouraged to use the rest rooms before entering the water. Immediately report any “accidents” you observe in the bathing waters to a lifeguard.
6. Shoulder length hair and longer must be tied back or wear a swim cap.
7. Any person showing evidence of skin disease, sore or inflamed eyes, cold, nasal, or ear discharge or any communicable disease shall be DENIED admission. Any person with excessive sunburn, open blisters, cuts, or bandages shall be DENIED admission, in the pool.
8. Do not enter the water if you are experiencing or recovering from diarrhea or have had any signs or symptoms of a gastrointestinal (stomach) disease in the past seven (7) days.
9. Glass containers shall be prohibited in pool area or locker rooms. No food, gum, or drink is permitted in the pool area or locker rooms.
10. Running is not permitted on the pool deck or locker rooms at any time.
11. No diving off of the starting blocks at any time. Proper diving is permitted in the 9ft only. Safely jumping is permitted in the deep end only (no running to jump, etc).
12. Persons suspected of being under the influence of drugs or alcohol are prohibited from entering the water.
13. Conduct which endangers the safety and comfort of others shall be prohibited, including foul language, horseplay, or excessive displays of intimacy, etc. – lifeguards have the authority to remove members from the pool exhibiting this type of behavior.
14. No animals, except for service dogs, shall be allowed in the swimming pool, dressing rooms, or other parts of the building.
15. Pool areas are closed during electrical storms.
16. Equipment is for adult lap swimming, swim lessons, swim team, or water exercise only. NO inflatables are allowed in the pools. All equipment for handling children should be Coast Guard Approved.
17. No extended underwater breath-hold swimming or hyperventilating before underwater swimming.
1 Long whistle blast — signals an emergency – leave pool immediately.
1 Short whistle blast – signals lifeguard needs attention of a particular swimmer.
Instructional equipment is reserved for instructional programs ONLY. (Kick boards, float belts, water weights, barbells, noodles and belts for swim lessons)
Deep end test– Swim one length of the pool in a horizontal position with consistent movement and confident stroke then tread water with ears above for one minute.
THOSE IN THE POOL AREA ARE SUBJECT TO AUTHORITY OF THE LIFEGUARD ON DUTY AND THOSE NOT OBEYING WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE THE POOL AREA.